Our 13 Inspirational Paddling Quotes has always been a fan favorite. It’s no surprise, really. Who doesn’t love a good mantra to bring you closer to that feeling of being out there, floating without a care in the world? Or barreling a Class V drop with no certainty of coming out unscathed?
Whatever floats your boat, we share that love of the water and the spirit of camaraderie it fosters amongst like minded paddlers. Whether you need a good laugh or something to keep in mind to help you cherish the moment while you float, please enjoy 14 more of our favorite paddling quotes – not ranked in any particular order.
- “The storms come and go, the waves crash overhead, the big fish eat the little fish, and I keep on paddling.” – George R.R. Martin
- “I have never seen a river that I could not love. Moving water… has a fascinating vitality. It has power and grace and associations. It has a thousand colors and a thousand shapes, yet it follows laws so definite that the tiniest streamlet is an exact replica of a great river.” – Roderick Haig-Brown
- “The two best reasons to buy a kayak rather than just renting are sunsets and sunrises.” – Thomas P. Jones
- “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” – Herman Melville
- “You feel mighty free and easy and comfortable on a raft.” – Mark Twain
- “The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten.” – Sigurd F. Olson
- “A man of wisdom delights in water.” – Confucius
- “A rough day at sea is better than any day at the office.” – Author Unknown
- “Everyone must believe in something. I believe I’ll go canoeing.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “The goal of a wilderness canoe trip should be to collect enough of the wilderness experience to last the whole year… A full cup is the only way that the winter can be endured.” – Greg Went
- “Out of water, I am nothing.” – Duke Kahanamoku
- “Paddling a canoe is a source of enrichment and inner renewal.” – Pierre Trudeau
- “If in doubt, paddle out.” – Nat Young
- “Originality is unexplored territory. You get there by carrying a canoe – you can’t take a taxi.” – Alan Alda
Unfortunately, summer is coming to a close, which means that the bright and warm paddling days inch behind us further and further. We hope that these quotes can help anybody who’s in a regular-life funk to disconnect and get some much needed aquatic therapy.
One that hits close to home is #10 by Greg Went – and we think it universally applies to any outdoor experience. It’s very important to experience the holistic and natural relief that the great outdoors has on our brains. You’ve got to get your fix of peace and excitement if you hope to stand a chance against day to day life. The quote contradicts the classic “glass half full” saying – but at the end of the day, we’re all for full cups.